Monday, October 22, 2007

Tom Osborne returns to Nebraska

Tom Osborne coached at the University of Nebraska for 25 years. He lasted much longer than I did. Then went on to Washington as a congressman and then ran for Governor of Nebraska. Tom is really a nice guy, how could you make nasty with him? I received a call asking if I'd help him run for Governor and i asked Tom what would help you the most being for you or against you what ever helps you the most. I'll be happy to do anything for you.

TJ and I had a chance to talk with the new Interim Athletic Director at Nebraska on our XM radio show and here are some of the highlights:
Tom Osborne – will you coach Nebraska?
"Coaching is a high energy deal and I like to be the offensive coordinator which requires a lot of film time , although when I speak to Steve Spurrier he says being actively involved is what makes it fun for him, but I think when you are getting a little older it's harder to maintain that pace so the short answer is no I won't be coaching again."

Tom Osborne - Bill Callahan is our coach for now
"Bill Callahan is the coach right now. We will evaluate the situation after the next four games. Bill Callahan is a very hard working guy and his staff has done a good job recruiting and I like him personally and we'll have to just wait to make a decision."

Tom Osborne – do you miss coaching
The first few years out of coaching was agonizing , but i have been out out it so long that I'm actually inoculated now, but i do cherish the relationships that i made with the players are still there and they are very important to me. It was intriguing and fascinating like a glorified chess game, the wins and the losses. I really enjoyed the game.

Here's my favorite memory of coaching against Coach Osborne:
We were playing at Lincoln in 1978 and i had a great football team, Billy Sims won the Heisman, we were ranked number 1 and were undefeated, but they win the game 17 to 14. I go out onto the middle of the field I was looking for Tom and could not see him because of the sea of red between our two teams, when we finally make eye contact a wave of red sea envelopes me and I'm taken away from him and was rolled up on the fields like a little ball and i disappeared and i never saw Tom again that day.

Coaching is about relationships and being able to make a difference in a young man's life, it's not so impersonal as it is in pro football. The same team i won the Superbowl with at least 16 guys were gone the next year because of free agency and draft choices removed them, i don't know who they are , couldn't name them and I'm sure I'll never even talk with them again for the rest of my life. In college coaching you take young men into your program for four or five years, you have the 365/24/7 you develop relationships and recruit them. You have that for life. You know where they are are today and you never lose contact with them and they are yours you raise them. 99.9 percent of them never go to pro ball anyway so they are your family and extension of your family and that's what college coaching is all about.

Barry Switzer – The Barry CS
5. Oregon - I really love them because of their quarterback, Dennis Dixon.
4. Oklahoma – even though they didn’t play well this past week.
3. BC – Yes, the computers have them #1, I don't.
2. LSU -Any other coach in America would have kicked a field goal so Les Miles is just a lucky , lucky son of a gun.
1. Ohio State-Remember they were #1 last year, too.


Hear Barry Switzer on XM Sports Nation, XM 144 Every Monday and Friday from 730-9am Eastern. For more information, go to xmradio.com.

No comments: